"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, September 12, 2022

feet

It started while we were away on vacation.

Gibson-the-Wee began licking his paw incessantly, notably after trying to befriend frogs in the mud at the edge of a pond. He was also desperately trying to say hello to the two nearby chipmunks, but they kept racing by at top speed, never stopping for a little chat. 

He licked it all night long.

If you have a dog, you know that's a sound that will drive you to the outer edge of sanity.

I called our vet the next day, and they said to pop a cone on him, so I did, because as it turned out, there wasn't a vet in the entire area where we were that would even look at him.

All y'all got Pandemic Puppies, and the vets are over-run.

Weirdly, Gibson LOVED the cone. He seemed to think it was gently cuddling his tiny head.

He's an eternal optimist.

Funny moment: The blanket on our bed is kinda textured. And the cone is velcro. At one point, I woke up to see that Gibson seemed mildly - just a teensy bit - agitated, trying to roll over. Turned out he was velcro'd right to the bed and couldn't move.

Go ahead, laugh. I did.

Anyway, it took around 10 days to see a vet, and by then, his tiny little paw was definitely having problems. It was red, and inflamed, and swollen, and he did NOT want to talk about it or let anyone look at it.

Poor lil guy.

The vet said it was an infection, gave him some crumb-sized pills, and within 12 hours, they were working. 

He's gonna be fine.

Also, the vet noted he's a little chunky - that's the word she said - "chunky". So the treats have been restricted, and he's not pleased, to be honest.

Meanwhile, I apparently got an invisible sliver in the bottom of MY foot, so I've been hobbling around, taking close-ups of my foot, then zooming in, trying to see WHAT was hurting. Used masking tape to remove / pull out SOMETHING minuscule, I don't know what, and now it seems to also be improving. 

So I don't have to wear a cone, I guess, and I'm relieved about that.

Also, no one has suggested that I'M a little "chunky" and that is also good news.