"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, May 05, 2008

the key to my heart

I am at a loss. I had plans for today, good plans, productive plans, go outside to frolic in the springtime grass plans. (After taking a Claritin, of course.)

These were important plans, because later today, I am off to a Very Important Conference, where I will have to act all professional-like. That's right. On my Day Off. I have to wear make-up and everything. But that's not until later this afternoon. My wonderful, digging, creative, Garden of Eden plans were specifically timed to give me an extra dose of sanity before heading off to the V.I.C.

(It's at one of the hotels near the Toronto Airport, so that tells you how very important it is.)

Side note: two lil kittens are walking through my back yard right now - cuties!

OK, sorry, back to the plans. They have been derailed. They are not to be. All because Spike has taken the key to my heart.

(Pause for those of you who are romantics to sigh; the rest of you may gag.)

We had a lovely morning together. Then he left for Welland, and by the time he gets home, I'll be gone. So I happily kissed him goodbye, he left, and I ate some chocolate. (It's what I do - don't judge me.) Then I put on my shoes, and gazed joyfully outside at the glorious bag of dirt, just waiting to be shovelled into my front garden, right beside my pots of perennials, waiting to be tucked into a nice mound of dirt. What a wonderful time I am going to have over the next few hours.

Just grab the garage key ... where's the garage key? It must be here somewhere ... Spike was fertilizing the lawn yesterday, he had it last ... don't panic, deep breaths ... check his jacket pockets. Nope. Pants pockets. Nope. Pants in the laundry basket pockets. Nope. Heart pounding, starting to sweat.

Hurry outside - is the key IN the garage door? Nope. In the grass? Nope. Lodged in the perennial pots? Nope.

No, no, no, this can't be! Rush back inside - is it in the freezer? Nope. Amongst the freshly folded socks? Nope. Hidden in the dishwasher? Nope.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHERE IS THE KEY????
HAS SPIKE INADVERTENTLY TAKEN IT WITH HIM????
WHY, WHY DOES HE NOT HAVE A CELL PHONE, FOR JUST SUCH A TIME AS THIS???!!!

So, yes, Spike has taken the key to my heart - otherwise known as the key to the garage - wherein lie all my tools and gardening gloves - thus relegating me to Plan B, which is housecleaning. (Which obviously I am avoiding, by blogging instead.)

It's not going to be pretty at Conference tonight.