"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday de-motivation

It's Monday. Mondays are my day off, which means Mondays are the day when I try to accomplish the myriad of things that I can't possibly get to between Tuesday and Sunday. I never, ever finish my to-do list on Mondays.

Partly because I blog.

So I've started putting blogging on my to-do list. It gives me a real sense of accomplishment, however ridiculous, and I'll take it, thank you very much.

On Saturday our friends came over to visit. We haven't seen them in ages. They are the kind of friends with whom you laugh until you throw up and/or pee a little bit. We value those kinds of friends. Those are the kind of people that never, ever look askance at you.

Conversation turned to matters at the workplace (not my workplace, and if it was I wouldn't tell you. but it wasn't. honest.) Turns out the unofficial slogan for my one friend's workplace is this: "(name of company) Where the milk rises to the top." Another friend that I mentioned this slogan to on Sunday proposed an addendum: "And there is no cream at all."

Brilliant. Inspiring, even! Perfect for a Monday blog post.

I invite you to post your own unofficial slogans, and we'll all agree that it's not about YOUR workplace (in case your boss reads my blog), it's about someone ELSE'S workplace. You can even talk about how lucky you are to work where you are, because it's SO MUCH BETTER than where everyone else works. And then you can post your de-motivational slogan, and we will all laugh. Really a lot. Laughter really improves Mondays and work places, by the way.

Meanwhile, I give you some quotes from www.despair.com which is only to be visited if you are in a mildly good place in life. If you're not ... don't go there ... you might cry instead of laugh, and I would hate to make you cry.

But here are a few that made me laugh this morning.

"Insight: When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago."

"Leaders: Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here."

"Marketing: Because making it look good now is more important than providing adequate support later."

"Meetings: None of us is as dumb as all of us."

And finally...

"Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying, 'Hey is there room in your head for one more?'"

Happy Monday to you!