"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, April 13, 2007

friday the 13th

Today is Friday the 13th. I guess we're supposed to be extra-cautious on this day, and not plan anything too serious.

Unless you're a biker. In which case, you go to Port Dover.

Gotta tell ya, the number 13 has never ever bothered me. I never notice the date, I would live or work on the 13th floor of a building, it just doesn't occur to me.

But I've had several conversations this week about anxiety and Things That Cause Fear.

For example...my mild fear of heights. There's no logic to it. My mind is quite fine. But my legs tingle and turn to jelly, and become completely unreliable in a place that is high and feels unsecure.

It makes no sense! For example, you could give me a railing to hang onto, and I'm good at any height. I can stand on the glass floor of the CN Tower with no problem. But ask me to stand on the top step of a very short ladder, and exert any kind of physical activity - like, say, change a light bulb - and I start sweating.

I fight it. I deliberately climb things, just to prove that I certainly can. Mind over matter, right? But there are limits. If you stand on the edge of a cliff while I'm around, I will walk away, because I just can't stand watching you there! (Don't count on me for a rescue if you fall, either.)

How about you? Any phobias or fears, mild, irrational or otherwise?



And, on a side note...if you buy a house in the quiet little town of Port Dover, not knowing anything other than what you see there on a quiet day...is the real estate agent obligated to tell you that every Friday the 13th, your little town is taken over by Harley motorcycles? Or do you just wake up one day to find the house rattling?