"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"The Mystery of the Missing Straightener"

If you're just joining us ... my straightener had gone missing. "Gone, gone I tell you, to the place of lost socks and the 80's." Spike and I had turned the house inside out, searching for what couldn't be found.

We left you with crazy questions -
  • Did Millhouse drag it into his dark lair of evil (and then, presumably, throw up a hairball on it?)
  • Did someone break in to our house while we were sleeping, avoid being attacked by Millhouse, sneak quietly into the bathroom, and steal ONLY the straightener? What kind of person would DO that??
  • Was it right in front of our eyes, joyfully blending in with the hairdryer that was clearly visible?

And now...the rest of the story.

I called my sister on Sunday morning, and asked her to bring her straightener to church (she was coming early too). So, mrv, if you saw a straightener, it was hers not mine. Incidentally, hers is also a curling iron, thus becoming super heated on both the inside AND the outside. I burned the back of my neck pretty good in my office, just before church.

Monday, I made a list of things to do, errands to run, groceries and things to buy. On the list was "straightener" because clearly it was gone, and I wouldn't find it until I replaced it.

But just before leaving, on a hunch, I went back into the bathroom and opened the drawer. Then I got down on my knees, wedging my head between the drawer and toilet. From this delightful position, I discovered that the straightener had leapt from the drawer, into the six or eight-inch gap that apparently exists between the back of the drawer and the back of the vanity. Meaning, it was no longer in the drawer, but neither did it impede the closing of the drawer in any way.

So, the Mystery has been solved, and it would appear that Millhouse had nothing to do with it.

However, if I ever have any valuables, I now know where to stash them!