"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Sunday, January 20, 2008

gone

Sunday mornings are intense at our house. After all, it's my biggest (only? LOL) workday of the week. I usually get up good and early, to go over everything in my head, be organized, be ready, before we walk out the door.


This morning I slept in, just a tiny bit. Figured it was OK, I still had time. Got up at 6:30 AM. Made coffee, put some make up on, got dressed. Opened a drawer to pull out my straightener. (That's a hair appliance, for those of you who are follicle-y challenged.) Stared into the drawer for awhile. Took another sip of coffee, blinked, stared into the drawer again.

There's no straightener. It's gone! Where is it?

I close the drawer and stand looking in the mirror, carefully checking to see if I'm already holding it in my hand. Nope. Is it on the counter in front of me? Nope. I open the drawer again and stare for a long time. It's not there. It's gone.

My friends - I went through every cupboard and drawer and shelf in the entire house. Jeff looked with me. I just used it yesterday afternoon! It is gone. Gone, I tell you, to the place where random socks and the 80's live.

Then I went to get a bowl of cereal. Bowl, spoon, milk ... where's the cereal??

"Jeff...are we out of cereal?"

"Yup - it's gone," he says.

(Sucking my lips in, trying to stay calm and holy-like, but this morning is not going well.)

We finished getting reading, and I went to grab my church keys.

Gone.

! ! ! ! ! ! !

I prayed (loudly and with irritation, I confess). God stayed quiet (it was probably for the best) but Jeff pointed out that they were hanging on the hook, exactly where I thought they weren't. Good man, he is. That's why I married him.

Stopped for a bagel on the way at a usually reliable place; tried to sink my teeth into it, which was a mistake. Clearly a day-old or more. Ahhh well.

Good thing God doesn't need me to be calm, cool and collected each Sunday. Everything went just fine this morning anyway.

But I just want to know - has anyone seen my straightener?