"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Saturday, August 01, 2015

level best

This has been, for various reasons, the busiest summer I've had in a long time. If I hadn't planted perennials a few years ago, our front yard would look like a hayfield.

I planted no planters this year.

Our windows are in desperate need of cleaning.

Cooking has mostly meant
buy-the-healthiest-frozen-meal-I-can-find
and nuke it.
Or steam some veggies over rice.

The back yard is pretty rough in a few spots.
I'm hoping the dozen or so people
coming over for a BBQ next week
are gracious about that.

So ... knowing I've done my level best ...

(what is that? "level best"? where did that phrase come from?)

... I did something today I've never done in my life. I emailed my prof and asked for an extension on this paper, because it's not going to be as complete as I want it to be by Friday. Unless I pull some all-nighters next week. And I am not ... NOT ... an all-nighter person.

Never have been. It's not pretty.
I'm the person every year that wonders if it's really necessary to stay awake,
just to watch a ball drop and yell, "Happy New Year".
... "what if we all have an early dinner and call it a night?" ...

I know.
I'm a wild party.

His response - the prof's - "Of course. No problem. Don't stress over this."

I can't figure out how to change that counter over there on the right. So just go ahead and add 72 hours to it - I'm handing this baby in on the Monday after the originally planned Friday.

And then I'm done.

Done.