"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, November 10, 2016

This.

So.


The US election is over. As a Canadian (we're all about peace and good government over here), I find the whole US campaign process to be ... just gross. Sensationalized, untrustworthy, small-minded, and way too long.


But I'm not an American, so (rightfully), my opinion carries little or no weight. 


However, as a follower of Jesus, ugh, I just weep, I actually cried yesterday over the ugliness of fellow Christians (on both sides, for the record). The deep division within the Church, which is supposed to be known by the "one-another love" within.


And I cried because we get awfully worked up about votes and policies (which I care about too, for the record). But I'm not sure we live with the same worked-up-ness in our daily lives, not like Jesus said to, with humility, and a heart to serve, and self-sacrifice, and generosity. I think that matters more than a vote (and I DO vote, for the record).


So this morning, a friend of a friend posted this, and I'm sharing it with you. She's an American in Ukraine. She and her family live there intentionally to help at-risk kids, people in poverty, displaced people. They do that in their everyday lives, with ferocity and passion.


"So here's the thing about the people who are followers of Christ.  Some of us are celebrating. Some of us are devastated.  But our job has not changed.  We are supposed to be the defenders of the weak and fatherless.  We are supposed to be the champions of the alien, the widow, the outsiders, the oppressed, the vulnerable.  We are supposed to be the first-responders when hate or tragedy attacks.  So no matter who is going to be living on Pennsylvania Avenue, no matter what changes in our policies or laws or government, we are still supposed to be the ones to shine light, to exemplify love, to show hope.  And if anyone anywhere goes after the weak or oppressed or alien or orphan, they'll have to get through us first. If we claim to follow Christ, this is our job.  The election is over, let's get back to work."


Amen.