"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

premier hiver à Montréal

"It snows a lot in Montreal, Patti. A LOT."

On Christmas Eve and for a few days after that, we walked around the city comfortably in short sleeves and light jackets.

It was lovely.
I don't need Christmas to be "white"
in order to be Christmas.  

Saturday night the temperature dropped. Sunday, freezing rain. And yesterday -- 39 cm of snow. 

But I was ready for it.

*raises fist in defiant victory*



In fact, I revelled in the fact that I didn't have to shovel a sidewalk, clean off a car, or worry about getting stuck on my way to work. 

There's a real bonus to being apartment-dwellers, right in the city.

We walk. 



Throughout the day, I watched the storm from my office window. 


There was even a moment in which I thought a polar bear might stroll by with a bottle of Coke. 


We had a practice scheduled last night, for New Year's Eve, with more snow to come. I wondered if the rehearsal would still happen, but the question was casually shrugged off. 

"Montrealers embrace winter, Patti."

Someone told me that a few weeks ago,
and it turns out it's true.

Not a bad approach, I gotta say. 

Anyway - Spike and I get to be part of the music on New Years Eve. We've enjoyed the break - we did music every week for years - but, as I bounced happily waiting for practice to start, I also realized how much I have missed being part of making music with other people. 


Looking forward to celebrating in this space tomorrow night, musically and in every other way. 


Happy New Year to you and yours!