"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, May 24, 2021

night shift

 The Boy and I have spent most of our married life with weird schedules. Mostly him. Musicians work weird, unpredictable hours. Truckers work long, unpredictable hours.

I learned years ago when making any plans - any plans at all - to include the words, "unless Jeff doesn't get home in time".

Because he tried. 
But stuff happens.

Before we had cell phones (and LONG before apps gave you free international calls!) whenever he went to do a bunch of gigs in the US, he'd estimate the approximate day they'd be back. But they were only back "on time" once, I think. Stuff happens. Vehicles break down. Plans change. If they were more than 2 or 3 days after the projected date, I'd start wondering where they might be.

Before cell phones?!

Wow, she's older than I thought.

Yep.

Plus, I work Sundays. And sometimes weeknights. The rare Saturday.

And then I keep going back to school on the side.

So we have weird, busy schedules. We're pretty accustomed to adapting as we go.

But this week, he started a new trucking job - better pay, better predictability, seems like better everything.

But it's night shift.

So that's new.

Means he avoids the traffic.
Which is a delightful side effect.

So this morning, he fell asleep just as I was getting up. My primary task was to keep the puppy from bouncing joyfully on his head, which I did by taking said creature for an early 90-minute walk. Dawned on me eventually that the streets were quieter than usual, not because it was so early, but because it's a holiday, and I forgot.

Got back home and worked for a few hours, pausing from time to time to shush and redirect the pup away from the bedroom door.

The Boy emerged just before noon.

I closed my laptop, asked how the first shift was, and went about making ... well, supper, because he's leaving in a few hours, and he's gonna need more than a tuna sandwich. We ate together, and he left.

Theoretically, I should open the laptop again, and continue my labours for a few more hours.

Except I'm at my best in the morning, and it's all downhill after that, and when the productivity is paused by a two-hour break that includes a sizeable meal .... oof, the motivation is lacking.

Good thing it's a holiday.