"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, April 21, 2008

vacation day #1

Well, I'm on vacation. Thought I'd give you a "day in the life" report.

Slept until 9:20 AM. That's right. Apparently I was tired, and our new mattress is just ... mmmm ... lovely.

Side note - Did I mention we got a new mattress last week? Here's the deal. Over 16 years ago, we bought the cheapest mattress and boxspring we could find, because we were broke newlyweds. Then, about 10 years ago, we moved into a 3rd-floor-of-an-old-house apartment which we LOVED, but which had stairs that the boxspring WOULD NOT navigate. So we ditched the boxspring, and have been using plywood under the mattress ever since. That's right. Plywood. In several pieces, no less.

A few months ago, we decided that our no-longer-newlywed status (not to mention our no-longer-20-year-old backs) deserved a new mattress. So we watched for a sale, and got a new one a week ago. It is heavenly.

So vacation day #1 started a bit late, because I was sleeping in.

Then I had two coffees, breakfast, and a Claritin.

The rest of the day is as follows:

  • Bid on a bag of dirt.
  • Went for a walk by the bay with Spike. (how lovely!)
  • Opened up the garage and gazed upon my gardening tools with fondness.
  • Took "before" pictures of our yard, and went to work, raking, removing brick edging that other people like, but I don't, removing an old bench that actually fell apart when I picked it up, and tying bundles of sticks and branches to be magically taken away tomorrow by a big garbage truck.
  • Meanwhile, Spike took off the front door and belt sanded a part that was refusing to co-operate with our new floor. It has now been sanded into submission.

Today's Injury: Took a bag of garden garbage out to the curb, carefully circumventing a rake that was leaning against the house. Sadly - I misjudged my circumvention, and "carefully" changed to "almost". Stepped on the edge of the rake, slamming the handle directly into my nose. Classic Three Stooges or Sideshow Bob, I know. Wow, it hurt. Applied a bag of frozen peas to my face. No permanent damage.

  • Got outbid on my bag of dirt. Guess I'll have to pay regular price - oh well, it was worth a shot.
  • Showered.
  • Blogged.

And just now remembered the pan I put on the stove 15 minutes ago, and promptly forgot about. Oops. It's pretty hot now....

Happy Monday to you!!