"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, April 24, 2008

vacation day #4

Injury:
  • Got out of bed, stood beside the bed to stretch sore muscles, back immediately went out. Crud. Chiropractor appointment tomorrow.

We have a new favourite tool. It's a lopper. It lops things. I like it a LOT. I used it last night on that gargantuan juniper bush. It fought back, and so did the hidden rose bush within it.

Today, Spike lopped the living bejeebers out of two cedar trees, another juniper bush and a hedge, which is now about a foot shorter. He did this while hanging off various ladders, precariously placed. No ladder-related injuries. (Still, you probably shouldn't try his ladder methods. I'm pretty sure there are safety films that use Spike as an object lesson.)

I bundled all the branches - I'm pretty good at that now. Also picked up a surprising amount of garbage and dog poop. Good times. Our garage is full of bundled branches and stuffed yard bags. The next "unlimited" garden garbage day may test the good nature of our garbage people.

Injury:

  • Both our forearms are covered in scratches, pricks, and rashes from hostile junipers and rose bushes. FYI, if there ever IS an invasion in the north end, I have rose branches that we can use to defend ourselves.

Went to Terra to buy some groundcover and two clematis bushes.

ATTENTION GARDENERS: TERRA HAS A SALE ON!!! 30% OFF PERENNIALS UNTIL APRIL 30!!!

I thought you should know. I almost didn't make it out - no one warned me there was a sale, and I went into shock. Spike brought me back from the brink.

When we got home, I hoed out the grass that was rototilled down the side of the house on Tuesday. Also raked a lot of rocks. Yup. Rocks. Good times. Our driveway was originally a limestone driveway that went from the end of the real driveway, back to the garage door. Over the years, the limestone has crept beyond its bounds, in an obvious, yet sly attempt to take over the yard. It almost worked too. But we're raking it back. We expect to be raking it for the next several months ... or decades.

Also, I went to cut one dead branch out of the lilacs, and discovered an entire dead ... bamboo tree? Is bamboo a tree? Does it grow in Hamilton? I don't know. It was the height of a small tree. The weight of a feather. Hollow stems. Trying to hide and look like a lilac. Almost got away with it. But while I was hoeing grass, I spied it. Lopped it. Bundled it.

Oh yes - found another steel pipe today.

Now we - and by "we" I mean Spike - are watching the game. Hockey, of course. Who's playing - I don't know. All I know is, I randomly chose the New York Rangers to win the Cup, and Spike tells me they're still in. It's a shame that I don't really care.