"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, October 23, 2008

oof!

Yesterday, I got "ooofed" several times in a row.

I was stopping in to see a family that I'm just getting to know, and some of the most adorable children you have ever seen met me at the door. And I do mean, at the door. I finally managed to squeeze inside, and just sat right down in the entryway to have some meaningful conversation with them.

Delight all around!

They brought me their toys and books, sizing up my lap all the while. The oldest one reported their official stats regarding their names and ages, and I nodded seriously, expressing my thanks for the information.

Finally, I managed to get myself to a couch, and they clambered up on my lap, one on each knee, the last one trying not to look disappointed that I didn't have a third knee available.

The youngest one was on and off several times a minute, which really made me laugh. And you can imagine how pastoral and dignified I felt each time that solid little diapered body climbed up and PLOPPED down on my stomach, causing an involuntary "oof" to come flying out of my mouth.

Fortunately, I'm the kind of pastor that thinks dignity is over-rated.

But I'll try to scrounge up some solemn dignity for the conference I'm heading to next week.

Wish me luck!