"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

proverbs and honesty

OK, three of you gave feedback on the Bible-reading thing. One said, "YAY!! One said, "OY!!" One said, "well ... I guess it might be good ... okay". (My interpretations, of course!)

So - let's do Proverbs. A-chapter-a-day, taken with your multi-vitamin. Line up the chapter with the date, which means we're on chapter 2 today, because it's January 2.

THE RULES:
No self-condemnation! If you miss a day or a week, or you're more of a verse-a-day person ... please don't retreat into a corner, hoping no one will check to see if you've done your homework.

No pressure to conform! If you're not really a join-the-group, let's-do-this-thing-together kind of person - then please don't.

No tests, no checking up, just comments every now and then, from both me and you, and you can jump in with those comments anytime, even if no one's talking about it at the time.

By the way ... my sources tell me that there are a significant number of people, of all ages, silently reading along in this space, and never commenting. If that's you ... you make me smile! It's exactly what I would do, many times. You're welcome to do Proverbs too, even if you never say anything about it.

So, here are my two thoughts so far today:

My proverbs thought - "all wisdom comes from the Lord, and so do common sense and understanding." (Prov. 2:6) I'm glad that God's wisdom isn't (always) mystical and huge and earth-shattering. Sometimes it's just common sense. The little voice that says, "Hey...um...maybe it would be better to..." (feel free to finish that sentence)

And my honesty thought - I looked at the Prayer of Jabez today, and stumbled a bit on the first part. Sometimes I hesitate to pray for "enlarged territory". Mostly because there are days that I feel like I'm barely coping with the territory I've got.