"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, August 24, 2009

because you asked

... inquiring minds want to know ...

But I get to tell the story, which means you get the long version. Perhaps in installments. I'm on vacation this week, so it's important that I have a real reason to procrastinate on various projects.

October, last year. "Where do you want to be in 5 years, 10 years?" was the conversation of the hour.

"Hmmmm," I thought to myself, looking around and mentally dusting off my hands. "This project appears to be about wrapped up ... time to go back to school."

"WHAT?" shrieked my shadow. "Are you CRAZY??? Do you even REMEMBER these many months of buying-a-building-and-renovating-it-while-still-doing-your-regular-full-time-job INSANITY???"

"Other people do it," I answered. "There's no reason I can't. I am reasonably intelligent. I always said I would, and I'll regret it if I don't. No time like the near-future present."

My shadow grunted unhappily and retreated. There's no arguing with me when I'm in a mood like that.

Went home, and said to Spike - "Hey ... here's what I'm thinking ... do you think we can do this?"

"Yep," he said. "Totally. Do it."

The next morning, on the way to Montreal, talked it out with the other Big Boss (that's what we call ourselves - "the Big Bosses" - I'm kidding - we don't) and he laughed. He knows me.

"Great," he said.

Of course, on the way home from Montreal, we hit a freak storm that closed highways and tried to END our tiny little lives, so that was almost the end of that.

But it wasn't.

... to be continued ...