"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

where to learn?

Originally, my intention was to attend here.

It's not too far from where I live. Toronto traffic would be irrelevant. It would likely give more recognition to the Theology degree I already have. And it has a fantastic Distance Ed program, which would suit me perfectly. This university has always appealed to me, for some undefined reason.

So I went through the website, and sent emails, and made phone calls. Until finally one person said off-hand to me - "You do know that we don't offer the program you want through Distance Ed, don't you?"

*sigh*

No. I did NOT know that.

Hope sprang up briefly when someone randomly informed me that this university had a new campus even closer to me. But alas, they don't offer the program at that campus, either.

And although the main campus is not too terribly far, the fact is we're a one-car family, and getting there every week for the next hundred years or so could really put a strain on Spike's and my relationship.

So I checked into the possibilities here. I used to work around the corner - walked from work to play squash on campus in fact - but they were on strike at the time of my possibility-checking. Which reminded me that they seem to go on strike frequently. Plus, there's the Toronto traffic (although public transit is an option). The final straw was the possibility of some courses being held at a different campus, Way The Heck on the Other Side of Toronto. I'm just not doing that. I have a full life now, without adding Toronto Traffic to it.

Looked half-heartedly here and here, knowing right well I wasn't interested in either one.

So I finally checked into the university that is in my own darn town. Why didn't I check that before, you ask? Because I wanted Distance Ed. And lots of credit for my B.Th. And I'm kind of a weird person who doesn't want to just do the obvious thing.

I got REALLY excited when their webpage extended an invitation to prospective students - "Drop in anytime to meet our faculty and consider your possibilities!" Finally, an opportunity to talk to real people with helpful information, people that would point me in the right direction!

I sent a quick email saying I would like to drop by, should I make an appointment, and how much I was looking forward to meeting them.

Got a reply: "We apoligize. That option is only available for prospective graduate students. We have changed our webpage accordingly."

And that's when spite took over for a little while.

Because if you are going to inform me that I am not educated and/or intelligent enough for you to meet with me ... perhaps you could spell "apolOgize" correctly.