"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, May 21, 2010

butt-dialing

Spike and I got new phones last summer. Since he's rarely local, and often south of the border, we opted for the lots-of-texting and very-little-calling package. And because of that, we got phones with the full keyboard, i.e. not a flip phone.

Which leads to butt-dialing.

Last night, my phone buzzed, right before a meeting I was going into. It was Spike. I knew this because I have a very cute pic of him attached to his contact info, so that I smile even before I answer.

"Hello," I said happily to the love of my life. "Hi," he said.

pause

"Hello?" I repeated. "Hey there," he said.

pause

"I bet you're wondering why I called you," he said. "Little bit," I said.

"Well," he said, "apparently I just butt-dialed you. Sorry about that." "No problem," I said.

Several minutes later, my phone buzzed again, with the same cute picture. I instantly hung up, chuckling and shaking my head. Then it buzzed again. Turns out the second call wasn't a butt-dial, it was a real call, and I had hung up on him.

*sigh*

Technology can really complicate relationships.
.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh...I am guessing "Spike" is Jeff?

What happened to using his real name...no seriously?

Patti said...

It's his self-proclaimed ID on my blog, based on his spiky head, of course, haha. The first time I saw it, I said, "Welcome to the blog, Spike." I was the only person that didn't realize it was my husband!

And you are....????

;)

janer said...

You two, too funny.

Anonymous said...

Who in the world sits on their phone? That's what holters are for.

There's nothing worse than getting a butt-dial at the crack of dawn!

Anonymous said...

I meant holsters - not halters, those are other things.

Patti said...

cell-phone halters ... that would be wrong ... haha

Patti said...

Oh, and you don't have to sit on them in order to butt-dial. It's a term with broad definitions. It can be in your front pocket, and while you walk, it happens. It can be in your purse pocket, and your keys dial. There are all kinds of scenarios, trust me.

Meredith said...

If you sit on your Holter, whoever did it hooked it up very, very wrong.

And I will get very, very upset when I try and scan and read it.... lol.

L said...

And I'm killing myself laughing at yet another example of how 'spelling-jes-don't-matter' school of thought is so wrong! And Meredith's reply is so right!!!