"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

mostly for me

I know I am not going to remember what to do with beet greens. Or radishes. Or any of the other veggies I get to pick up once a week.

Somewhere I have to preserve the memory. I could print out recipes - and I might. But for the moment, please pardon me while I jot down a few food thoughts. I know - you're groaning - "not another food blog". It's not. I'm not going there.

But I just don't want to forget that ...

... Adding 1/4 cup of sugar to 2 cups of chopped rhubarb, and cooking it slowly will make a perfect topping for toast that will remind me of Grandma's farm kitchen. And that I probably shouldn't eat ALL of it at once. I could freeze some.

... This Beet Greens, Green Garlic and Barley Gratin (which I made with rice, not barley) is very, VERY good. Even Dad liked it.

... The printed recipe that the urban farmer provided for Greens Soup is delicious, and does not need additional salt. It has bacon in it - what could go wrong? But beans could substitute for bacon quite nicely. He provided the recipe "in case we have a 'bunch' of greens we don't know what to do with" - which of course, I do, because of him. That was thoughtful.

... And that I can make freezer Strawberry Jam, with locally-grown strawberries, while watching "Mad Love" after Wednesday night practice. Instructions on the magic Club House brand envelope of powder. Note to self: You bought the strawberries from the grocery store. They weren't part of the urban farming deal. Don't be crusty with the urban farmer when he doesn't have strawberries next year, and you are sure he did this year, because your blog implied it.

That's all for now. I have radishes, and an idea for them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

But I repeat - not a food blog.