"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, August 15, 2013

the brothers karamazov

A few quotes from my current book. It's written by Fyodor Dostoevsky, whose books I have enjoyed in the past. This one is made more enjoyable by the fact that it is a worn and dog-eared copy, belonging to a friend who graciously loaned it to me.

Adds character to the book, don't you think, when it bears the signs of having been well-enjoyed before you came along?

So ... a couple of random quotes ... with no context ... because they are too enjoyable to keep to myself.

"He rated his own powers of judgment rather highly, a weakness which was excusable in him, since he was already past fifty, an age at which an intelligent, cultured man of the world of independent means acquires an exaggerated opinion of his own judgment, sometimes despite himself."

(OH!!! Burn.)

"Whenever I realize, Your Reverence, that my joke isn't succeeding, my cheeks begin to stick to my lower gums, like a sort of cramp."

(haven't we all been there?)

--

hey - have a great day today :)