"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, January 25, 2007

someone else's brilliance




I know. I've been a little MIA. I just couldn't think of anything to say! I was tossing around a few ideas in my head, but the mental snores were a sign that I was even boring MYSELF, and that can't be good.

So...I'm sharing with you an excerpt from a book I started this morning as I walked to work. It's from "Seizing Your Divine Moment" by Erwin McManus.

"I think we need to spend a day with Monet. He had a clear sense of what was hidden in a moment. Most of us think of a moment as something that's stationary, stagnant, and unchanging. We want to capture the moment and stand in the moment. If there's a moment you want to preserve or remember, you take a snapshot.

The genius of Monet is that he saw the moment for what it really was. It was as if he actually read the dictionary and realized that the essence of the words MOMENT and MOTION are the same. Monet was a master of light and movement. His paintings were blurred and obscure and yet beautiful and full of insight. If we could somehow see life through his eyes, we would begin to see life as it really is. Our ability to see the world as it really is has been corrupted by the camera. With a turn of a lens or a push of a button, we are able to take the blur out. We've come to see the world through still frames, when in reality life is in constant motion."

There it is. A quote that made me go ... "huh". Whaddaya think? (Maybe without the context of the book, it will just make you go ... "HUH??!!" Which is entirely different from a thoughtful and intrigued ... "huh".)

One more thing - can I tell you that I have enjoyed reading Proverbs with you?! It's kinda neat in the morning, knowing that someone else is reading the same thing I am - makes me feel part of a community. How about you? Has it been good? Helpful? Funny? Boring? Irrelevant?

Should we carry on with something else when Proverbs is done? Or take a breather? Either way I'm good. If we decide to keep going, I was thinking about a narrative part of the Bible...maybe Ruth...or Esther...or Matthew.