"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

snowday!!!



Yesterday was that most awesome of times for everyone under 20...snowday! Close the schools and open up life!


From my perspective, yesterday didn't have as much potential as some snowdays (more like iceday, and what do you with that?) But snowdays with tons of actual SNOW - now that's living.


Best snowday ever was in college. Married, on internship, had to drive to the other side of town. Went outside very early, couldn't find the car. Woke up Jeff who mumbled something about brushing it off. So I tried again. Found the car, still felt doubtful. Went back inside, told Jeff I didn't think I'd be able to get out of the driveway. He said, "Oh sure you can Patti - just rev it a bit, you'll be fine." I said, "I'm not sure...."


He got out of bed, opened the front door, and nearly disappeared as he sank into the snow.


Didn't have to go to work that day, but hours later, with the driveway finally dug out, we went out driving (it's what we do in bad weather). We tried to pick up a friend, but when I climbed onto a snow bank, one leg sank ALL THE WAY IN, right up to the top, with the other sticking out horizontally. I looked like a ballerina in a jewellery box, and was entirely stranded!!!


Snowdays are also probably the reason I'm a coffee drinker. Adults don't always get snowdays along with the kids, so sometimes we went to work with Dad. When I asked him if I could have one coffee, he said, "Yes, one," which I interpreted to mean one styrofoam cup, filled over and over again. I will never forget his horrified "how much have you had??!!!" as he came into the church kitchen to find me perched on the counter, the empty pot beside me.


haha!!!


Got any good snowday stories?
Proverbs note: I haven't read today's yet - that's next on the agenda - but yesterday it struck me that there was a connection between how you use your words and being lazy. It's much easier (lazier?) to spout off verbally, lose your temper, etc. It's much more work to take responsibility for the words I use, and to choose gentleness, kindness, etc. Any thoughts on that?