"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

return of the blogger

I wonder if anyone is still checking in on this space, or if you've all given up on me? We shall see!


Thanks to everyone for your prayers and condolences to our family, after Grandma passed away. Truly...she will be missed...but when you're 99 years old, you're ready to go! My guess is that she is still absorbed in commenting on the lovely weather in heaven. (Grandma never began a conversation without mentioning the weather. Even birthday cards had a description of the temperature and cloud cover that day!)


It was rather pleasant to spend a few days in Petrolia, the town of my childhood. Met up with cousins from California, Oregon and Manitoba. Laughed a LOT as it became evident at the funeral which cousin was spoken of the most by Grandma....stranger after stranger came up to meet us.... "oh, you're a grandchild? are you the one who is the AUTHOR?" And over and over again, the four of us non-authors pointed to the end..."no, she's further down the line...."
This monstrous building is where I went to nursery school, I'm pretty sure. My sister and I wandered around town, checking out our old house (now apartments) our old church (now apartments) and our old school (still a school). Many memories, including Al's memory of Mom checking on her in the laundry room..."Whatcha doin?" "Nothing." (a pause, as Mom searched for the reason her instincts were screaming) "GET THE CAT OUT OF THE DRYER!!!" (Fortunately, the start button hadn't been pushed.)
HEY - HAPPY EASTER!!!!
I thought it was a great weekend, and I loved the excitement that was just pouring out of one guy - one of Crossfire's most valued people - who was thrilled to turn on the lights at the "He Is RISEN!!!" moment. AND, I loved the Apostle John's performance...most excellent, I must say. Not just a professional actor, but clearly a well-researched historian as well (which is right up my alley).
You know what caught me? "You know, when you're in a bad mood, it's probably because you're judging someone."
There's a lot of truth to that! And I'm a little irritated that I never thought of it myself.