"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, October 12, 2007

volunteering

Today, I got a copy of a magazine for church leaders, from our denomination.

Normally...dare I confess...I skim it. IF I have the time and inclincation. Otherwise, it gets "filed".

But this issue is a good one! A really great article on women in ministry (did you hear my cheers?). And a zinger of an article on volunteers. I thought I'd share part of it with you, but if you're going to read it, you MUST HEAR ME SAY, that I DO NOT think this describes CF volunteers!

It has described me from time to time, though. And it has described people I've worked with from time to time in the past. And I just enjoyed its zinginess.

Here's an excerpt (within the context of why the writer doesn't ask for "volunteers"):

In practical terms, volunteering is a pleasant way of doing things - for the volunteer that is. I am in control! To start with, I decide if I want to do anything at all, and then if I wish to do much or little. I set the terms regarding how much time I'll give to the project or task and I also reserve my right to discontinue any involvement for any reason whatsoever. And you need to be careful how you treat me. If I don't like the person with whom I'm working, I may quit. Be sure to show the appreciation I crave, or I'll pull back. Supervision over me must be of the kind I can accept by people I'm willing to follow and without any pressure as well. Furthermore, I may just demand the deciding vote on how things will be done. After all, I did volunteer; I made the decision to help; I can quit; you need me and you are dependant on me. Finally, don't think of dismissing me, because you didn't hire me. You can ask me to serve, but heaven help you if you ask me to step down. I'm a volunteer and therefore I serve at my own free will.
If this depicts how volunteering works, and I think it does too often, then God can't work with such in His church.

Whoa! Do I hear an "ouch"?!

Before you all crucify me, let me reiterate - I'm not aiming this at anyone, really and truly. AND this magazine regularly goes after the leaders just as thoroughly. AND the article ends with saying God's call is on everyone's life, and we serve at His pleasure, not ours. AND it says that Jesus does not treat us as volunteers or as employees - He treats us as friends.

Which I think CF tries to do.....

Anyway. Just wanted to share!