"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, June 27, 2008

iPod woes

I know. Where have I been?

Moments of Note in The Last Week Or So:
  • Went to Preeya's birthday party - saw many old friends, including Preeya, of course - she just turned 50 - her first birthday party EVER!! Very, very enjoyable.
  • Spike's cast came off this morning. Which is good, since he has major gigs next week to play.
  • On Monday, I washed a week's worth of dishes, and we grocery shopped. Those two facts combined mean we are eating again, which is good.

Also - my iPod died. Without warning or symptoms, just went dead. "Dead, dead, dead." A guy in my old church used to wander around, chanting that phrase while shaking hands with new people. Isn't that the craziest thing?? :)

Then a very smart (younger, of course) friend brought it back to life. My iPod, that is. (Try to keep up.)

So it lives, but on its own terms. It has apparently quarrelled with my laptop, and they are giving each other the silent treatment. What does this mean for me, you might ask?

It means that 9 months after I got this gadget for my birthday, I finally realized it could do more than play songs. It could keep my contacts and appointments in its cute little silver casing, thus making me feel that I am on top of things.

Once I learned how to do this, and thus became reliant on this feature, it promptly shut that feature down, presumably due to the strained relationship with my laptop.

So I can plug it in, and it will charge. But my laptop will not acknowledge its existence, and my iPod will not accept any new information from my laptop. So all my old appointments are in there. But no new ones. You can imagine how helpful that is to me.

I tried mediating between the two, pleading with one, whining at the other, "Can't we all just get along???" To no avail.

Don't tell me to go to Apple support. It has a cheery little webpage, but no matter where you click, it goes nowhere. And online conversations with technogeeks would be helpful if I had the faintest clue what they were saying. But I don't.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to go to Future Shop, clutching my grudge-bearing, crusty little iPod. I'm going to be bold and friendly, smiling with just a hint of danger. And I'm going to say, "Oh, hi. This is what I have. This is what it does. I think it needs a new cable to help it communicate. Either that, or counselling. Do you sell either of these things?"

And if they say, "Well, yes, but it would just be better to get a NEW AND IMPROVED one," I am not to be held responsible for my subsequent actions.