"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, June 19, 2008

fame by association

We're going to a play tonight!

I feel all urban and sophisticated. It's back in the High Park area of Toronto, where we used to live. And my B-I-L and S-I-L (who are professional actors and directors, among many other things) are respectively acting in and directing this play.

This is the play.

And this is where we're having dinner beforehand.

I called the number to reserve theatre tickets. Gave my name ... which received an instant response of ... "Oh! You must be ... wow, I've heard so much about you and Spike, I just can't wait to meet you!"

I'm famous (not in my own right - just by association with my siblings-in-law). You may be surprised to learn that in Toronto's urban theatre subculture, pentecostal ministers apparently do not make appearances very often. Shocking, isn't it?

So my S-I-L takes great enjoyment in introducing her hard rock playing brother, and his pentecostal minister wife, to her artsy friends. I do my best to accomodate her by appearing as "cool" as possible, thus taking a stand against the preconceived notion of what a pentecostal minister might look like.

I really laugh when worlds collide like this. It's happened before. Hard rock ... urban church ... Toronto theatre ... what a great mix!

***

Note: I added a Blog List at the very bottom of this page. But it only shows 5 blogs at a time, and it picks the 5 that have been most recently updated. So if yours isn't there, and you are someone I know, post something new on your blog, and it should show up. Don't just assume that I deliberately left you out, and get all offended, OK? Because that takes a lot of energy from both you and me, and surely there are better ways to use our energy!

That being said, if you post and it STILL doesn't show up - tell me. I could very well have messed something up.