"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, July 17, 2008

urban wildlife

Last night, I went outside to cut some herbs for our potatoes. (Spike is absolutely loving this form of potato, which is pretty cool, since he generally is not a big potato fan, unless there is a lot of cheese and bacon bits in the mix.)

I heard a sound behind me, and turned to see something streaking through the yard behind me, and then park itself under the spruce (?) tree in front of the garage. It was a baby bunny!!

All together now - "AAAAAWWWWWW!!!"

Cutest little thing you ever did see, and he just sat there and looked at me, so I sat down on the grass and looked back. The only difference between us was that my nose wasn't twitching. He was only about 6 feet away, sitting in the shade of the tree. Spike eventually came through the gate and managed to come and sit down beside me - still the cutey lil bunny rabbit sat there.

Eventually he turned away, and then did a big stre-e-e-e-e-e-e-tch up on all four legs, with an arched back, and the little tremble you get right at the end of the perfect stretch. Then he sat back down, and proceeded to wash his face, glancing at us every so often. Finally, several minutes later, he waved goodbye, and hopped off.

OK, he didn't wave.

But he's still a cutie!