"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, July 21, 2008

all over the map

As I've probably mentioned before, I do enjoy getting the Saturday Spec. I don't care about the paper the rest of the week, but reading the Saturday paper always has a sense of ... luxury, I think. Not bad for less than $2.

Anyway - this story, right here - has me hopping mad. Wait, make that spitting mad. My toe is still a bit tender. Are these people Grade 5 boys, on the school playground, working out the pecking order of their little group? And what the heck is a Superior Court Judge doing, calling the POLICE CHIEF'S OFFICE instead of backing up his monster Cadillac like reasonable people do? How can a SCJ make a snide comment about a city worker using tax payers' money poorly - when that same SCJ - also paid by our taxes, I believe (is that right?) - used up the time of 3 police officers and a municipal supervisor for his petty little annoyance? How is it that the SCJ is actually still proud of his behaviour????

Gah. For the record, I'm sure there was attitude coming from both sides. But I definitely have an opinion on who was the bigger idiot. And I'm guessing that, since this wasn't actually "news" of the global kind, it made the front page of the Saturday Spec for the exact purpose of watching people like me blow up over it.

Which, I guess, is kind of funny. :)

----

On another note....

Last night, in our church service, I was deeply moved. And I'm having a hard time finding words for why, but I'm going to try.

Sunday nights are small, laid-back, relational, less-planned. Times for prayer. Almost anyone can come to the mic and contribute a thought, an encouragement, a Scripture, a prayer, whatever. Last night, someone who has never come up before, came up to talk about some of the struggles they've been facing. Quiet and honest.

And when they finished....we invited people to surround this person in support and prayer (as we so often do). As soon as that invitation was given, people jumped to respond. No one wanted to leave this person hanging out on their own - we all know what that's like - and within seconds, a group of us were there, supporting, praying, standing with them in their struggle.

It impacted me. I was already feeling so thankful for a church where people can be honest about their struggles. But when the response was so quick, so heartfelt, so determined to push back the isolation that sometimes comes in tough times - well - all I could think was, "this is what God looks like".