"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, December 04, 2008

dfp's

Three posts in a row on the same topic - that is unprecedented on this space. Three angry posts on a topic that actually matters - well, I never thought I'd see the day.

That's enough of that! No more deep thinking! I'm on vacation now.

Last night after practice, I was getting ready to go home. Enjoying my empty email inbox - that's right, EMPTY - and my clean desk. I put on my coat and scarf, and went to find Spike. Somewhere in there - BAM! I was hit by a craving for deep fried pickles.

I ignored it. Pushed it down. Rolled my eyes at it. It's what I do. I am far too sensible to pay attention to cravings for deep fried pickles late at night. Think of the insanely wrong rumours that would start, for one thing.

They say a craving only lasts 3 minutes, and if you can ignore it for that long, it will go away.

I really don't think "they" are right.

The craving got stronger. Burn-your-tongue hot, tangy dill pickle spears in a light, crispy batter, dipped in creamy ranch sauce. The hot vs. cold, spicy dill vs. rich ranch battle that ensues in your mouth is just ... well, there's nothing quite like it.

And then I realized I was on vacation. I am allowed to do very silly things on vacation. So I mentioned it to Spike - who of course, thought he had died and gone to heaven - deep fried food? late at night? He's in, baby!

They ... were ... perfect!!!