"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

gingersnaps

Oh good golly.



Yesterday, I made my annual batch of gingersnaps for Christmas. The recipe is from an unassuming little paperback cookbook that is not endorsed by ANY famous bakers, and has no pictures at all. If you happened to glance at the recipe, you'd think - "Who wants to make THAT??!!!"



But, oh my darlings....they are sooooo good. They are best when they are hot out of the oven. As they cool, they get crispier - still good - but not as heavenly as when they're melt-in-your-mouth warm.



And so I have a problem. I ate ... a number of them ... straight out of the oven. Just popped 'em right into my little mouth. Which means I'm a little short on my Christmas baking. Fortunately the rest of my family more than makes up for that, so it's OK. I may just eat a few more before Christmas.



Meanwhile - perhaps you'd like the recipe. You know, so you can make them, and then rush right over here to bring me some while they're still warm.



3/4 c unsalted butter

3/4 c sugar

1/2 c unsulphured molasses (what is "unsulphured"? i don't know. there's only one kind of molasses in my store. it says nothing at all about sulphur.)

1 egg

2 1/4 c flour

1 1/2 tsps baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/ tsp ginger

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp cloves



First - cream butter and sugar together in bowl until light and fluffy. Add molasses (this takes a while - you might want to have a nap while the molasses makes its way into the bowl) and egg; mix well.



Second - Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves into butter mixture; mix thoroughly. Place in freezer for 1 hour or fridge for 2 hours.



Third - preheat oven to 375 degrees.



Fourth - Form dough into 1-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.



Mmmmm.