"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, January 02, 2009

holiday food with a twist

You've probably eaten all kinds of sugar-saturated, fat-loaded, carb-heavy foods over the last several weeks. I know I have.

And, of course, New Year's Day is the last day for such indulgence. After that, it's back to a strict regimen of water and celery.

Not really. I'm just making a point there, with a huge overstatement. I'm assuming you got that.

Yesterday, it was just Spike and me for New Year's Day. (It was just us for New Year's Eve too, which was nice. Means you can toast at midnight in your jammies.)

Spike and I decided to spend a big part of the day with our new Christmas toys. See, with our 17th anniversary coming up, we decided to go together on our Christmas present this year, on something that would greatly enhance our marriage, you know, spice it up a bit, as it were. Can't get into a rut.

So we got an XBox.

People doubt us, thinking I got scammed on this gift, because Spike is a gamer, and I'm not. But I did not get scammed. There were other pieces to the gift, which I'll talk about some other time. But meanwhile - we are XBox-ing together, and Spike is being very patient with me as I attempt to make simple jumps over and over again, using up all my virtual lives.

We've been playing Indiana Jones - Lego Version. It's pretty funny.

You're wondering what this has to do with holiday food, aren't you? I'm getting there. Have patience.

We played for a long time - hours. And our house is in Christmas chaos still, with random things strewn everywhere. You have to walk carefully through our living room.

Partway through the day, I whipped together some leftover turkey sandwiches on cheese buns, and we took our plates back to the game, and continued playing, snatching bites in between Lego battles. And of course, it takes two hands to fight Lego battles, so the plates had to get set down somewhere while we played.

Some time later - we don't know how long - Spike went to grab his sandwich, which he had placed on the chair in front of him. "Hey!!!" he hollered, and when I looked, he pointed down.

There was his sandwich.

And there was my leg stretched out, left foot sitting solidly right on top of that cheese bun sandwich, using it as a foot rest.