"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, February 20, 2009

mwaa-haa-haa

It's been a tech-filled week for me. Another necessary skill to add to my list of "things they never taught me in Pastoring 101".

I spent most of the day on Tuesday, Tuesday evening, and early Wednesday morning working on a multi-media thing for our Lent experiment. (Yeah, I know. Lent is a tradition. I respect that. But it's not a tradition for me! I've never done it before, and so we're putting our own twist on it this year.)

The presentation was most satisfactory, if I do say so myself. But the laptop it had to run on kept crashing. So I re-formated things, saved them differently, re-started. Crashed again. This continued innumerable times.

Wednesday morning about 6:30 AM, found me on the couch in my jammies, growling "I DESPISE YOU!!!" at my laptop. It was a low point, I admit.

Thursday, about noon, I opened the laptop again and took a deep breath. "OK," I said. "You don't like me and I don't like you. But Ash Wednesday is coming and we've got to get this thing done. So let's just set our differences aside, and maybe we can make it happen."

It stared back at me, refusing to commit to the suggestion.

So I decided to be the bigger person and take the first step towards reconciliation. I perused user forums. I read manuals. I even installed a fake printer. No good.

Finally, a brain-wave hit. This is the NEW laptop (after the other one was stolen). I had loaded all the software on this one, but what if there were updates? Well, yes indeedy, there were. And they had to be downloaded. Then they had to be installed. And then they spoke firmly to me about files in the wrong spot, and "strongly recommended" that they be allowed to move those files. I meekly clicked "OK".

And it worked!

I danced around my office, hollering triumphantly. Seriously. I did.

For this week, I faced a test of technology, looked it squarely in the eye. And I won.

MWAA-HAA-HAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

(P.S. Please don't tell my laptop about this post - I don't want to anger it)