"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, June 25, 2009

memories

Nothing like a warm summer evening to revive memories.

Teenage years. Not the best years of one's life, I must say. (Who started that rumour? Someone with a wicked sense of humour, I'll bet.)

Still. Good years. If I had to do them over again - well, I'd rather do them now, when I have a far better sense of who I am, and far less anxiety about looking stupid.

And a warm summer evening now brings back memories of those years.

Footlong hotdogs, fries, and some awful-tasting drink called a "Golden Glow".

Plastic tables under outdoor fluorescent lights, soft ice cream cones, listening to the tape cranked in the nearby pick-up truck.

Lots and lots of laughter. Cool breezes.

Friendships you never, ever forget, even if you don't know where the friends are anymore.

---

Weird, isn't it, that Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson both died today? Farrah wasn't much on my radar as a teenager, but Michael was. I wasn't personally a huge fan, but you couldn't not know who he was. One friend with the single glove, who was totally in love with him - makes me laugh. I wonder where she is now, presumably hearing this news at the same time I am?