"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Saturday, October 31, 2009

one hour

Forgive my skePticism.

As I am sure you know, the clocks change tonight. We all get an extra hour of sleeP.

Unless you live in Saskatchewan, I think. In which case, life goes on, and you're Probably not reading my blog anyway.

I love that extra hour of sleeP. I do. No, seriously, I really do.

I love the delight of the evening before - "It seems like it's 10 PM, but it's only 9! Look how much evening is left!"

I love that this year, that delight is combined with the delight of kostumed kidlets on my brand new Porch for Halloween.

But every year, when the time changes in spring and fall, the newscasts are full of the same cautionary soundbites. APParently, that one hour of extra (or less) sleeP deePly imPacts many of us, in that we forget how to drive, and car accidents Prevail.

But I ask you - don't most of us live in a PerPetual state of constant stress and mild sleeP-dePrivation, not to mention unhealthy eating Patterns? Don't we all regularly find ourselves short on time, with suddenly changing Plans and disruPtions in our schedule? Don't we all, for the most Part, coPe in some way?

And by coPe, I mean smile and function until you have a moment to yourself, at which time you eat sweet or salty comfort food ... or Play video games ... or gaze sadly at your Leafs merch ... or read someone's blog ...

I want to know. Who among you has so Perfected your life's routines and schedules, that one hour - ONE HOUR - turns you into an incaPable, wildly-swerving, accident-causing driver?

If you are this Person, you may confess below. You can use the anonymous oPtion. I just want to hear from you. I won't judge you. I want to understand.

If, on the other hand, you are taking this brief moment to coPe with your crazy life, by reading this Post while eating a giant chocolate bar for breakfast ... you may confess that too. You're in good comPany.