"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

earthquake!

ssshhhh ... don't tell anyone but I have a Wednesday night off! it's very exciting.

In other news, there was an earthquake today. Did you hear? My plant moved. My chair moved too, but I thought it was my chair. It's not all that stable. It took someone else to point out that my entire office was moving. Still ... we figured it was a bus going by. Or some weird construction at the Big Build half a block away.

"Earthquake??" we questioned. "Naaahhhh ... maybe ...."

And it was. Cue the one-liners immediately all over the web.

Here's a sampling of what I saw:

"Sorry everyone, lunch made me a little gassy"

"Well I was in the washroom and ... I think I need more fiber"

"Started a tsunami in the fake lake in Huntsville"

"Rule No. 1 when experiencing an earthquake: - Avoid standing at a urinal."

"God was trying to shake down the security fencing around G20"

And of course, the inevitable "The end is near".

Didja feel it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that the big pea quoting the littlest pea of them all?

Patti said...

... maybe ... ;D

chRistine said...

my office building swayed. it was really weird - part cool, part scary..

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a software bug.

Anonymous said...

Hey Patti-do you remember the quake during exams in highschool? today was Steven and Jon's last day of exams..........weird or what?!!Kathryn H

Sheepdog said...

We actuall had to run. We have huge filing cabinets that go from the floor to the ceiling and along a whole wall (like the ones in some doctor's offices) and our cabinets aren't bolted into the walls or anything. They shook and wobbled so much that we were certain they were coming down and we ran. One of the employees totally panicked. One of the lawyers came out of his office annoyed at the disruption and went outside, looked up to the sky and yelled "What are you doing?!!" as if to give God heck for the earthquake. I was unsuccessful at hiding my amusement at the whole thing.

Brian said...

don't forget my favourite line from the song by Carole King "I felt the earth move under my feet". Actually I didn't while I was walking home but then I'm a heavy walker. :-p

Patti said...

why don't i remember the quake during exams???

sheepdog - i would have been howling with laughter at that lawyer :)

Meanwhile, I was laughing at a lawyer in Ottawa who had to run out of the building without his pants on ... and seemed fairly happy to talk about it ...