"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Sunday, November 14, 2010

coffee snobs


I recently realized that my drip coffee maker just isn't going to cut it anymore. Maybe it's that we've had it too long - it's like the stale flavours of over a decade have settled into it, seasoning every new cup of coffee. That seems gross. Also ... the coffee it makes is no longer hot enough for me.

I blame Ukraine. We didn't have drip coffee there. We had instant coffee, and frankly, it was the best quality instant coffee I've ever had. It was good. And it was HOT. My drip coffee maker isn't hot. It's almost hot. Again ... not good enough.

So when I got home, I bought a french press. (The cheapest one I could find, incidentally.) And I've been experimenting with it, learning what my preferences are. Each day it's a little better.

HOWEVER ... Spike's co-band members it turns out, are coffee snobs. They have a coffee kit that they carry with them everywhere they go. The kit includes a french press, a kettle, beans, and a grinder. And they have a very specific system for creating the perfect cup of coffee, whether it's right before a gig, or during a break from roofing.

Spike feels I should learn from them. Spike himself does not really drink coffee anymore. But he's been hanging over me as I french press my coffee ... "Stevie stirs it every 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Nathan grinds it coarser than that. Stevie would never do this in his pajamas." (OK, that last one is a bit of a stretch.)

Still. It's a teensy little bit annoying.

Last night, we were with said band members. I told them how they had invaded my morning coffee routine. I told them I was pretty sure I was capable of making a decent cup of coffee, but Spike was not so confident, and was giving me advice based on what he watched them do. They laughed.

And then they earnestly gave me further advice on making a perfect cup of coffee.

*sigh*