"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, February 04, 2011

keys

Yesterday morning, I came to work, used my keys to let myself in, went straight to my office and did desk stuff for a few hours.  Got up once or twice to make a cup of tea, or ... you know ....  But that was it.  No appointments.  No meetings.  I'm not even sure there were any phone calls.

Around noon, the other two people in the office had to go out for something, so I was left on my own.  That's when I realized how hungry I was.  No car - weather is yucky for walking, and I'm on a roll with my work - hmmmm, what to do?  Oh!  Wait!  There's a new vending machine downstairs in the gym!

As if I have a dollar in cash.  I know right well I don't, just a bus ticket and a bit of change.

So. Hungry.

I wandered around the office for awhile ... tried to work again ... can't, too hungry ... wait ... what is this?  Two shiny quarters on my messy desk!  Surely I have two more quarters in my wallet!  I might not have a dollar, but I'm SURE I have fifty cents!  Yes!  Yes I do!  Hooray!  Now I can eat!  Just grab my keys, go downstairs, unlock the gym ...

...

where are my keys???!!!!!

They were gone.  Not in my purse, not in my coat, not on my desk, not in any of my shoes, not on the counter, not in my purse, not in my coat, not in the bathroom, not in my purse, not in my coat, not near the kettle, not in the tea bags, not in my purse, not in my coat....

To quote Charlie Brown - "ARGH!!!!"

So. Hungry.

I even texted the two that were out, wondering if they had picked up my keys by mistake.  Nope.  They had not.  They came back and loaned me keys so that I could go downstairs and get my chocolate bar.  Then I went back to work, blood sugar now manically high, still with no idea where my keys were.

I eventually found them.

By accident.

Inside my desk.

In a box of pens.

Weird.