"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oprah

So ... Oprah's last show is today, apparently.

Gotta be honest, I've been thinking for awhile that this has been the longest departure from a job in all of history. Didn't she announce that she was leaving a decade or so ago?

I never got into Oprah. For one thing - it's daytime TV, and I work in the daytime. I know, I could have TiVo'd it or DVR'd it or whatever it is that people do. But I have never TiVo'd or DVR'd and wouldn't know how. Also ... don't you have to actually be already into a show to care enough to record it for later viewing? Which leads us back to the beginning of this paragraph ... I never got into Oprah.

I also never hated Oprah. Some people do. I got all the emails warning me of her evils. Maybe they're true, maybe they're not, but forwarded emails like that get dumped in the trash pretty quickly, and usually unread.

I've seen enough Oprah to know what she looks like and what she sounds like. But to be honest, I think it's because of the clips of her on news shows when she gave stuff away. "YOU'RE getting a car! and YOU'RE getting a car! and YOU'RE getting a car!" Ironically, those clips made her recognizable enough that I laughed at a spoof of that whole thing worked into a recent How I Met Your Mother episode.

Anyway.

See ya later Oprah. Ya done good.