"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, September 12, 2011

proud pastor

Every now and then, I just need to brag a tiny bit. Let's call it "Why I Love My Church". Others of you are proud of your kids. I'm proud of the group of people that identify with Crossfire. And here's why, in no particular order. It's random. Not exhaustive.
  • Yesterday, one of you tried something new in the service ... a little nervously ... and afterwards you told me, "Ask me again. I'll do it."
  • Often, several of you invisibly bring in, set up, distribute and clean up grocery items that really help others of you. And I know for a fact that some of you take some of those grocery items, so you can pass them on to someone else who needs them.
  • Last week, one of you tackled me, hugged me, smiled at me, and told me you loved me because "you're so priddy". (To clarify - it was a small child. Adults - please don't do this. It will be weird.)
  • One of you has facilitated food to the neighbouring school's breakfast program on a regular basis for months. And you're still doing it.
  • Most of you value people over programs, messy over efficiency.
  • None of you has ever objected to an idea with the phrase, "We've never done it that way before."
And ... you grin and cheer when we play this at top volume to open the service. And when someone blinks and comments, "My, that's loud," someone else cheerfully responds with, "And it's gonna get louder."




You're an authentic, laughing, gritty, courageous, generous gaggle of humans.

With a due-respect tip of the hat to other faith-based gaggles ... the fact is ... this one suits me just about perfectly.