"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

20 years

It's our 20th anniversary today.

When I was in Ukraine, I got to help Pastor Gregory with some pre-marital counseling. (That was an experience.) Somewhere in there I mentioned that Spike and I were coming up to 20 years, and jokingly said, "All of them happy." Pastor Gregory looked at me, a little surprised, and said, "Really? All of them?"

He had a point there. Anybody that tells you they've been happy every second of their marriage is lying. SOOOOO lying. (Unless they are my friends Vova and Juliya, who only got married a few days ago.) As I heard one person say, "If the two of you agree on everything all the time, one of you isn't necessary." Let's just say - both Spike and I are very, very necessary. ;)

But ... we keep talking ... neither of us is capable of the silent treatment, and I'm awfully glad about that.

We don't use the D word. Ever.

And two decades ago, when WE were in premarital counseling, Dr. Kydd asked us what we wanted for our marriage. We said we each wanted the other to go for their dreams.

And dude - the two of us are some crazy dreamers.

Happy Anniversary to the love of my life.