"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

perfect

I recently got a Bluetooth thing that sticks in my ear.

Not because I'm so wildly important that I MUST accept calls at all times. I'm not that important.

But because Spike and I talk on the phone for an hour or so nearly every morning. This has really been cutting into my dishwashing / laundry folding / bill paying / plant watering time. So I do those activities later, which really cuts into my studying / answering emails / pastoring / tech troubleshooting time. And then THAT cuts into my whole ability to maintain any semblance of sanity.

So I got a Bluetooth. Now I wash dishes while we talk in the mornings. And kid myself into thinking I'm sane.

This morning, he was waiting for his truck to be loaded Somewhere Far Away and had just come through some beautiful scenery. He was dreaming out loud about taking a vacation there, telling me all the details, and then he paused. "I was going to surprise you with this. But I never can do that. I can't keep the secret. I always want to tell you all the details."

It's true. Spike is not good with happy secrets.

But then we both burst out laughing, as he said, "But that's good because you don't like surprises anyway! You always want to know everything ahead of time."

Also true. I genuinely enjoy the anticipation. Surprises skip that happy step.

This is why we're perfect for each other.