"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, May 30, 2014

pants

Wednesday afternoon.

Had a potential tenant coming through the building. She's SUPER nice. She leads a GREAT group of people. And she liked the shoes I was wearing. 

"Oh," I said. "You like shoes? I'll show you SHOES."



And I did. Had those puppies in my office, and I showed them off proudly. She loved them. (Who wouldn't?)

...

A little later, touring her and an insurance agent through the premises, we met up with the cleaning crew who does our building once a month. This is a fantastic group of adults, with developmental challenges, and their supervisors. I made introductions and we carried on. Through the building, out into the parking lot, where a vaguely-familiar looking man got out of his car and said VERY joyfully and VERY enthusiastically - "Excuse me - I don't normally do this - but I just need to tell you - those are GREAT PANTS!"


And my potential tenant - who assumed, naturally, that I knew this person well - just as joyfully hollered to him, "You should see her SHOES! Not the ones she's wearing - the ones in her office!"

...

Half an hour later, tenant is gone, I'm just starting next appointment, and I hear some unusual noises in the hall. In comes the dude who complimented my pants, and with a big smile, he announces - "I've come to see the shoes."

Person with whom I had appointment has no context for this at all, and simply bursts out laughing at yet another display of the unique goings-on of Crossfire. 

"Actually," he continued, "we ALL want to see them!"

And in troops the whole cleaning crew, staff and clients alike. Turns out he's one of the supervisors, which is why he looked familiar. 

I brought out the shoes. Everyone passed them around, admiring them. Person with whom I had appointment just kept on laughing. 

And then we all carried on with our respective days. I'm still chuckling.

---

For the record, I suspect time will show that this was the day that the legend of Patti and her shoes really took root in the history of Crossfire.