"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

different spaces

Sunday was a little different from the usual.

Of course, there was our morning service. Honestly, I just have to tell you ... the group of people whom I get to pastor are simply wonderful. Sunday had it all ... heartfelt worship as we sang together ... we gathered in little groups and prayed together ... we interacted with Scripture together ... we shared the Lord's Supper together ... and then we sat around and chatted with bowls of soup together.

I really love my church.

Sunday afternoon, Spike and I stopped in at the grocery store, on our way out of town. Walked past a woman outside the door who was politely asking for spare change, responding with, "No, I'm sorry, I don't have any." It was a moment later that I realized what I had seen as I passed her. Terrible bruising and swelling, covering half of her face.

Someone had beaten her up.

I bought her a sandwich and a coffee, and gave her my card on the way out of the store. It took awhile for images of how the beating might have happened to stop flashing through my mind.

I can't comprehend the rationale behind personal, physical violence. There are a lot of things I don't understand. This is one of them.  

Sunday evening, we relaxed with food, laughter and friends at the home of The Crusty Professor. This is now a firmly-cemented friendship - probably one of the most unexpected ones I've ever had - and it makes me smile and shake my head in amusement.

So Sunday was a little different.

Grateful to interact with people.

In all these spaces.