"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, February 15, 2007

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!


Did you enjoy your snow day(s) this week?? I did! I went to work on Tuesday, but we all left at noon to avoid the storm. I popped in on Tuesday night, just to grab some work to take home, because I had a hunch I wouldn't be going anywhere on Wednesday. And I was right!
I love a good snow storm, and the shovelling afterwards! It's the best way to talk with your neighbours. I started at 8:30 AM and went almost 2 hours (we have a long driveway...the landlady helped out too, so we chatted as we worked.) I talked to the lady next door, who shovelled out her sidewalk, and then got out her skis and happily disappeared up the street.
Then there's the guy across the street. He was out shovelling at 5:30 AM yesterday, I guess so he could go to work. (Jeff was just getting home from work then, so he helped him out.) This guy is a thorough shoveller, like me. Porch, steps, sidewalk, entire driveway, and brush off every inch of the cars.
Then there are the new people that just moved in beside the first guy. They are NOT thorough shovellers. They didn't even venture out the door until around 2 in the afternoon - not even any footprints in their driveway. Then they came out, shovelled a little circle around each of their cars, and retreated back inside.
The students renting down the street are entirely oblivious, and a little amusing. They were parked right in front of our house. They came outside around 3 PM - one had a broom, and the other had a spade. They appeared bewildered by the whole thing. They stared at their car from different angles, did a half-hearted shovel-full here, and another there. One of them used the broom to push the snow off the roof, thereby burying the tires a little further. They finally shovelled all the snow directly onto the sidewalk I had already cleared two or three times, and drove away.
Oh yeah, and the kid across the street was hilarious! Her mom must have gone to visit the people beside me, with instructions for the kid to practice her trumpet on her snow day. Every now and then, the girl wanted to summon her mom - she just opened the front door and blasted her trumpet! It seemed to work. LOL!
Let it snow!
Hey, has anyone checked out our new webpage? We're very proud of it, and we welcome any and all compliments!!!!!!!! If you don't know the address, it's www.(ourchurchname).org. You just gotta fill in the church name - the whole thing. Enjoy!