"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

faith lines


Some semi-serious ponderings today.


I was at the 32nd Annual Hamilton Prayer Breakfast this morning. It's a big event, with the mayor, other politicians, city leaders, and faith leaders in attendance. We filled Liuna Station. (I had to rummage in my closet a bit, figuring CF's normal dress code might not be appropriate!)


The speaker was a Ph.D. who is passionately and deeply involved in providing "hope with a plan" to the people in Africa ravaged by HIV/AIDS. It was informative and encouraging.


As I scanned the room, I realized that I didn't know anyone there. None of the Christian leaders I know were in attendance. Maybe they were busy - maybe they didn't know about it - after all, this was our first time going.


Sometimes followers of Christ (especially the Protestant, or evangelical, or charismatic ones) are a bit leary of multi-faith events like these. They (we?) prefer to organize events that are Christian. I understand the concerns. By definition, beliefs tend to be exclusive. A belief is a belief because you believe it is right. And therefore, there is likely another belief that you believe is wrong. Otherwise - it wouldn't be a belief! And what's the point of connecting with those you believe are wrong? There's a potential danger of watering down your own beliefs, compromising the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I would never want to do that.


So, in that regard, one might feel concerned at a prayer breakfast, where prayers are expressed not only from my faith, but from other faiths as well.


On the other hand...


Can my faith acknowledge someone else's right to practice their different faith? I'm not asking if I agree with it. But do I believe that they have the right to their belief system?


Can I acknowledge that there will always be people in the world who believe differently than I do, and can I connect with those people? Or do I just stay within the boundaries and the circle of people who believe the same as me? And if that's the case - where do I draw that faith line? Do I include the three monotheistic (one God) faiths - Christianity, Muslim and Jewish? Or do I draw the line at Christianity? And if that's the case, who is included on my side of that line? Catholics? Orthodox? Snake handling Pentecostals?


If a Hamilton Prayer Breakfast is supposed to represent the City, how could I insist that only my faith be represented? Wouldn't it be better for me to represent my faith well in a multi-faith setting, not accepting all religions as equal, certainly not, but carrying Jesus where I go, becoming "all things to all people" as Paul did? Finding common ground and respecting others' beliefs, while solidly standing on my own beliefs - isn't this what Paul did in Athens? (Acts 17:16ff)


Let me throw in one other curve ball that troubles me sometimes. Why are we concerned about joining other faiths in an event meant to promote good, but we are fine to function every day in the so-called "secular" world, where belief systems and actions are often based on greed for money and power? Isn't this a wrong belief system, just as much as those that are actual religions?


I realize this could possibly promote some rather intense discussion. (If so - let's stay friendly, OK?) It's just what's on my mind today, and I don't think there are any simple answers. I think I walk out my faith with passion, looking for opportunities to spread the Gospel, and looking for opportunities to connect with the people in my community.
What do you think?