"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, May 11, 2007

a not-yet-read book

"It could be the pilot script for a sitcom: a pastor hires an atheist to help him critique several Christian churches throughout the United States. For the authors, however, this experiment was no joke. A veteran Protestant minister truly believes that evangelism requires listening to the good, the bad and the ugly about Christianity in order to be a better minister. So he hired an atheist copywriter and musician, to serve as "fresh eyes" and observe how a variety of Christians engage the Divine through worship."

This is a description of a book I'm thinking about picking up. Haven't picked it up yet. Not telling you the title yet. I imagine that if/when I read it, there will be some disturbing stuff, some thought-provoking stuff, some stuff I strongly disagree with, and some stuff that makes me dance around, yelling, "Crossfire does it right!" (And then my cat will attack me; he doesn't like dancing people. How's that for a visual?!)

It's an interesting premise, isn't it? I'm truly not sure what to expect from it. I don't know many true atheists; I'm not sure if I know any, actually. I wonder if the guy is truly an atheist - as in, firmly believes that there is no God, in any way, at all. Or if he's someone who wonders if there is a God, but not sure who he is, or how to find him. I know people like that. And I know people of different faiths and spiritualities.

Anyway - I wonder - What will surprise me? What will be exactly what I expected? What will sadden me? What will make me laugh?

Any guesses?