"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Saturday, November 24, 2007

BONK!!!

I just couldn't wait. I have to tell you about this.

On Thursday, my parents and I went to my Great-Aunt Margie's funeral. She was 83 years old, and has surely nudged some angel over by now to make room in the choir. Aunt Margie ROCKED!! She also laughed a lot, which is good, as you will see.

At the funeral, we were in a little chapel with pews. (Note: PEWS) Because Aunt Margie always sang, we sang a lot at her funeral. Each time we sang, we stood. At the end of the hymn, we sat.

...or tried to....

"You may be seated," said the minister. Being a promptly obedient little firstborn, I plunked right down. Then wondered how stars had gotten inside the chapel, and what that blinding pain was on the back of my head.

Because, as far as I can tell, the guy BEHIND me had a specific method of being seated, which involved leaning forward first. And he hadn't finished his process of sitting down before I plunked down, and we CRACKED HEADS!!! Pretty hard too!!!

Whispered apologies ... got ourselves seated ...

And then my mouth started twitching, because it really struck me funny. I glared inwardly at myself with my mother's best glare, and told myself to "pull it together, Patti, you're at a funeral for goodness' sake!" (Even though Aunt Margie would have laughed too.)

I pulled it together. Cried laughing later on, telling my sister about it on the phone.

And I thought you all might like a chuckle too at my non-gracefulness.