"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, November 09, 2007

remembering, with thanks

Sunday is Remembrance Day. I've been spending part of today getting ready for our services. Sunday night, we will be writing letters to soldiers, and I can't wait!

I find this to be a very moving time; I think it's important to remember.

So I just wanted to say ...


THANKS.


To veterans of the past, and to Canadian soldiers in various places today.


I am deeply grateful for your service, around the world, on behalf of our country.


Did you know we can send a message to our Canadian troops? When I looked today, there were over 46,000 messages, many from school kids. Wow.

By the way, I will be wearing my "God Bless Our Troops" t-shirt on Sunday - you are welcome to wear yours too!

6 comments:

Dougie G said...

Thankyou for the linc. I posted a message on it. Unfortunately, I have to work and can't make it sunday night, but I thoroughly enjoyed the last one and encourage everybody to make an effort and go write a letter to our troops. It is the very least we can do to show our support. Even if you don't agree with the politics of it all, we still need to support the men and women that are putting their lives on the line every day for us. You said Ruth might be able to bring some stuff home so I can do one anyway and I would like to do that.

Sheepdog said...

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13

Whether we are talking about the War of 1812, WWI, WWII, the Korean War, the Gulf War, et. al. or about what's happening today, whether these people survived or died, they did lay down their lives for us - not just their friends, but also for strangers.

They deserve our thanks and great respect.

Thanks for posting this, Patti.

Kelly said...

As the granddaughter of a member of the Dutch resistance ...
As the daughter of parent's who remember the Canadian troops coming in, and Nazi troops being driven out ...

this has always been a day with special meaning.

Thank you!

Patti said...

We wrote 42 letters to soldiers in Afghanistan tonight! I really love this CF "tradition"!

(It's a tradition now, because we've done it twice.)

Joe said...

I know that I appreciated the chance to write a letter tonight. It is good to remember the sacrifices of others.

Like this sunday and this week I was informed that it was a day and week for praying for the persecuted church around the world. To remember the martyrs of today and yesteryear. There also is a trail of blood and glory.

Dougie G said...

Make that 43 letters. I guess my dad brought some stuff home for me and I will write a letter tomorrow and send it away. This is a great tradition. I love it. I would like to have an ongoing communication with some of the soldiers. I think they need our continuous encouragement.