"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, November 05, 2007

they got me

I have been pigeon-holed. When I buy books, they tend to be at Amazon, because I don't have to go anywhere, delivery is free, prices are sometimes cheaper, and I can just wander at will, anonymously.

Today, an email-ad arrived. "Christian Living at Amazon.ca: Your New Source for Inspiration, Information, & Transformation."

I'm mildly amused at having been labelled. Also at the thought that a virtual bookstore is my new source for all that ails me spiritually.

And I'm also mildly annoyed, because I DON'T LIKE being shoved into the Christian section of the bookstore!

Confession Time: I don't go into Christian bookstores very often. I know they are a great resource, and very wonderful for many people. But for me, it's like wandering into a health food store or an exercise store. The first few minutes are full of interesting discoveries, and then I become totally overwhelmed with all the things I SHOULD be doing or eating or reading. And then I get annoyed at myself for feeling overwhelmed, and I get the heck outta there!

So...this morning when I saw the "Christian Amazon" email, I clicked on the loonie deals instead, and wandered through the writings of Kurt Vonnegut Jr. for awhile. Just in silent protest against being labelled.

Clearly, I have issues!!! (Don't we all)

LOL