"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Saturday, April 12, 2008

eezveenetya, pazhalsta

I don't laugh much at movies. I laugh inside, if they're funny. But not out loud. Most movies just aren't that funny.

But last night, there was a movie on TV, and I mostly got hooked into it because the beginning was all in Russian. I was listening to see if any of the words spoken were on the list of 9 Russian words that I know. (I do that with The Hunt for Red October too.)

And they were, by the way - "Eezveenetya, pazhalsta!!" Anyone know what that means? I do! I've said it, in Ukraine. And I even got an appropriate response to it from a stranger. But I digress.

The movie was The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!

And I laughed, and I laughed, and I laughed. All by myself. Mostly at the crazy little tourist town that panics so thoroughly for little to no reason. Oh my. That is ONE FUNNY MOVIE.


Dougie G said...

Ok..... so what does "eezveenetya,pazhalsta" mean?

The Other Side said...

Try translating the following:
"собаки могут обнаружить болезнь в людях."

Don G said...

eezveenetya pazhalsta sounds like what I say when I sneeze. And I've been doing a lot of that lately. No laughing matter.

Dougie G said...

"собаки могут обнаружить болезнь в людях."
That looks like Ukranian to me. I had a Ukranian friend and that is what the writing looked like.

Patti said...

hey the other side - I'll have to look it up - any hints?

Joe said...

I remember getting a couple of snickers when I first saw the movie. Never thought it was that funny... though enjoyed it... sort of. It was in the theatre when it first came out that I saw it. The first few chuckles came because laughter is infectious. I almost watched it again the other night... almost.

But you? You laughed. Boy did you laugh. And you were alone. I hope you laughed so hard that you had an uncontrolled snort now and then.


Darryl S. said...

Some languages look like they would take longer to write via longhand than English. I only know "nyet" in Russian.
I'll guess at some of these.
"eezveenetya,pazhalsta" means, "where the heck are we?" And "собаки могут обнаружить болезнь в людях" means "I would like some crackers and cheese please." How'd I do?

Patti said...

good guesses, darryl! I don't know if it takes longer to write in Russian. I know it takes ME longer to write in Russian!! :)

OK, "eezveenetya, pazhalsta" means "Excuse me, please". Invaluable, when you're a stranger in a strange land.

And I don't know what the other one means. Don't even know who "the other side" is.

Oooohhhh, it's a mystery!!