"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

thespian relations

It's good to have family that are in the business.

The theatre business, I mean.

And it's Spike's side of the family, not mine. My side are storytellers, Monopoly players, Turtle-eaters, but we are not actors.

If it wasn't for Spike and his family, I would be woefully unaware of the world of theatre. The Mirvish productions might intrude on my consciousness from time to time, but I probably wouldn't go. Anything else would exist in a world for other people, theatre-going people, people that wear pashminas and drink fine wine.

Fortunately, almost 17 years ago, I married a guy whose family is in the business. Which is greatly enhancing our lives this month.

Tomorrow, we are going here. We will be the weird-looking child-free adults at a children's play, but don't worry. We aren't weird. We are child-like. We like Charlie Brown. And we couldn't resist the opportunity to see my SIL playing Lucy.

In the interest of discretion, I'm not going to comment on the appropriateness of that role for my very wonderful SIL. But Spike might have something to say about it.

Later this week, we are going to see this. Yes, I overcame my booger-launching status of a few weeks ago, and have been graciously given one more opportunity to see my BIL in 2000 Candles. Yay!

We're thinking about going to see this at some point, but I don't know if we're going to get there. The reason we're thinking of it, is that the writer of that show also wrote Blue, which we went to see last spring.

And last but not least, we're almost certainly going to see these guys on Boxing Day. No relation to any of them. No deals on tickets. But a most excellent Christmas gift, nonetheless!!